Friday, August 6, 2010

Brain Fog

Feeling like poo today and I have the worst brain fog. Anyone want to switch heads so I can actually think straight?!?! Here is an article on brain fog I found--


Lyme Disease Brain Fog
By Leslie Buterin, The Lyme Lady


Wednesday, August 4 2010

The first time I heard the term brain fog I was in my doctor’s office. The instant I heard that phrase I cried. I cried because finally, one medical professional, took my symptoms seriously and gave me the words to describe what I was living with day in and day out, a seemingly impenetrable brain fog.

For literally decades I had told physicians and psychiatrists alike that my head felt stuffed full of cotton, my brain felt numb like I was under ether. Those same professionals asked me to communicate more clearly. Unfortunately, those words were the best words available to me at the time and the doctors did not seem to have any other words to help me clarify further.

Strong communication skills were required for my profession. So, why was I beginning to stutter? What was I supposed to do on the days when I could not put two words together? Why did I have to search my mind so hard to find the correct word to use in a sentence?

When folks asked why I rubbed my forehead so much, I told them I was doing my darndest to clear the fog. Little did I know I was so close to a term that is significant and meaningful to Lyme literate physicians. That wonderfully descriptive term - brain fog.

As it turns out, the same process that causes brain fog is also the culprit for a long list of other Lyme-related symptoms in the brain, such as migraine headaches, itching head, sinus infections, ugly dreams, narcolepsy, insomnia, even pimples of all things.

If you are like me when I first learned these symptoms were all connected, I found that hard to believe. But I was curious as-all-get-out and wanted to know more. My doctor welcomed my questions and I was not the least bit shy about asking them.

How could all of these seemingly unrelated symptoms be attributed to one disease?

Lyme and Lyme-related co-infections thrive in brain tissue. As they live and multiply, they create infection(s) that in turn cause quite a disturbance in the brain.

Infection leads to swelling of tissue. Since the infection begins in the brain, the tissues in the head swell. Swelling in the head causes sinus problems, frightful dreams and painful headaches.

As the body tries incessantly to rid itself of infection, it uses every means available. This includes trying to push infection out through the skin. When the body can not eliminate the disease through bowel movements, the body eliminates through the skin frequently resulting in Lyme-related pimples on the face, back, chest, even arms.
Granted this is a simplistic explanation. Rest assured there is a quite a body of knowledge that explains how and why Lyme disease and related co-infections gunk up the brain. But for our purposes, we will keep it simple.

Simply said, the head is supposed to be disease-free and safe-place for the brain. As disease enters the head, the brain can no longer function the way it is designed to function. For example, the brain tries to send signals to cells, however infection makes it impossible for the electric impulse to travel safely to those cells, the cells do not receive the signals they were supposed to receive. A lot of thought is lost in the process.

If you are living through this process right now you will nod with understanding upon hearing the term brain fog. I am glad to report that with treatment the fog in my brain has cleared.

Forward this article to friends. They will thank you for it!

3 comments:

  1. This is such a descriptive, articulate article describing the indescribable. Thanks!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is happening to my husband. Can i talk to you further? Michelle@luccidesigns.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is happening to my husband. Can i talk to you further? Michelle@luccidesigns.co.uk

    ReplyDelete